I am starting to feel like becoming a teacher is within my grasps and really enjoyed being in a room full of teachers for my first ever professional development session. Okay, so it was just one day but it sure packed a punch! It really got me thinking and realising the potential of ICT in the classroom is really limitless. So, just quickly because I don’t want to bore everyone here are some great little tips I picked up that I wanted to share:
- Digital games (console games) can be used as a text and in a very similar way to a big book
- There are some amazing apps where all the students can get involved using pop quiz’s like Kahoot.it
- There are some amazing children’s books that can introduce children to coding like Hello Ruby
- You can translate Wikipedia pages to another language called ‘Simple English’ which changes into a format early years friendly
- QR Codes are a fun way to hide information for students to discover
That really is just the tip of the ice berg when it comes to what I learnt in one day. I would thoroughly encourage other students to attend these type of days where possible as even talking to teachers in the breaks was beneficial and highly informative.